Sunday, August 16, 2009

City Life


I wonder from where people developed this love for shopping. This evening I went to Kamala Nagar with the intention of buying a few items of clothing. The shops are crowded like a fish market in Kolkata. There is hardly any space to breathe, let alone look for what you want. Is it the “population explosion” or is the trend these days? Most of the t shirts on the shelves were of a design I wouldn’t dare to wear for the fear of being hounded by dogs on the streets.
Then I was at a shop to buy a pair of slippers. I stood at the counter waiting my turn to pay the bill. The guy at the counter asked the lady in front of me, “Kya aap ke paas change nahi hain?” The “polished” lady answered in the negative, in a language that I think was English, but the accent was really indistinguishable. Where did she acquire such an accent from, Timbuktu? The poor chap at the desk was perplexed and clearly at his wits end. However, he chanced to see her shaking her head and realised what she had wanted to say.
Is this the “hip and happening” city life that people are crazy about? Your house seems to be the only place where you seem to have enough place to stretch your arms wide without the fear of striking down the person next to you. Living in free air is now a distant dream in this much celebrated city.
THREE CHEERS TO CITY LIFE!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, hope people would find this script on their screens at some point of time or the other, and also find time to read it, especially Shubho -for whom I have already given so many comments but unfortunately indeed, he didn't found any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wont be surprised if you are murdered someday for abusing the much acclaimed and loved hangout of du. broaden your vision. i am sure you will be able to uncover many hidden assets of this supremely esteemed shopaholics' abode. it provides the much needed jerks that are absent in our consciousness lectures.
    -anwesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. well anwesha, i have been trying to broaden my vision by trying to understand how u have come to love that place so much. i sympathize with u as the fault is not yours. since our "consciousness lectures" are unconscious of our humane existence, even a sorry place like k.nag. can seem to be heaven after we walk out of the class. i have an advice 4 u - u need a long vacation...from d.u.

    ReplyDelete

The River Flows

(These are musings from my room, while I sat at my desk and looked through the balcony towards the Ganga, its waters expanding everyday, and...